WE DID IT! On Friday, 8th September 2017, Al and I got married. I became a wife, Al a husband and together we became Mr and Mrs Coates.
Saying all of the above gives me weird tingles and still sounds so surreal. Do you ever get used to calling someone your husband?!
The wedding was epic and magical but not without its fair share of dramas due to Hurricane Irma and then José. Fortunately, we were on the south of Antigua, which didn’t take as much of a hit. The staff and hotel were amazing and our family and friends were troopers while we waited to see how we could pull it off. And we did, just a day later than planned. Amazingly we were able to go ahead with our plans to marry on the dock followed by having our reception on the beach.
There are so many highlights from the day that I want to document properly but jet lag is currently messing with my mind and my bloody IBS and I feel I won’t do it justice right now. I will however tell you this:
- It felt like all of the hotel guests had turned out to watch our wedding after hearing all about it in the build up and during the hotel lock in for hurricane Irma.
- The heavens opened for a downpour as we were about to sign the paperwork and everyone ran to the bar to take cover – The locals told us this was a good luck blessing.
- Our guests sat with the waves lapping at their feet during the reception due to the storm surge from Hurricane Jose.
- Steel drummers played Bob Marley while Al and danced barefoot in the sand surrounded by friends and family for our first dance.
- It was THE BEST DAY EVER.
I cannot wait to share our official wedding pics as Paul Mockford did the most amazing job.
Photo courtesy of my amazing bestie, Cheryl.