It’s no secret that I’m now obsessed with making my own kefir-based probiotic. I’ve been testing different fruit combos and have finally nailed a favourite down and today, because I’m feeling ballsy enough, I’m going to share the steps and the recipe with you.
Strawberry Water Kefir Probiotic Recipe
Water kefir grains
3 tbsps raisins
1/2 organic lemon
4-5 chopped strawberries
Wooden or plastic spoon
Large glass jar
Bottles for storage
1. Pour freshly-boiled water into a bowl and allow to cool. Once cooled add the kefir grains.
2. Once cooled pour into large glass jar and add the kefir grains, lemon and raisins.
3. Cover the top of the jar and leave at room temperature for 48 hours.
4. Strain the kefir grains, raisins and lemon from the water kefir and bottle the liquid into your storage bottle.
5. Add 4-5 chopped strawberries into the new water kefir and allow to sit out at room temperature for 48 hours. The pressure of the carbonated drink will build so will need to be released every morning and evening. After 48 hours place the probation in the fridge and start consuming.
6. Repeat steps 1 to 4 to restart the brewing process.
How to Nail Probiotics
- Love your grains, feeding them – with a sugar water combo – every 48 hours. I’ve mastered completing this process in my sleep.
- Keep plenty of raisins and organic lemons in the house. You will need A LOT of these.
- Don’t leave the probiotic brew in direct sunlight, it can speed up the fermentation process.
- Find someone to help drink all your probiotic. This is a must. Especially because I currently have 4 bottles in the fridge and another brewing.
Read More About My Struggle with IBS: